Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pop Up Camper - Part 2

We've been making quite a bit of progress on the pop up lately. You can check out part one here. After Jason took all of the cabinets out, I scraped off all of the loose papery bits then gave it a good cleaning with a TSP substitute. I don't think this is a necessary step, but I did it anyway. I guess it can't hurt. We were originally going to reuse the hardware, but they weren't in very good shape. We removed those and I patched the holes with some wood putty. After that I gave it a coat of Primer. I used Zinsser Bullseye 123 Primer. It stuck to everything which was really nice! Then I finished off everything with two coats of Behr Dark Cavern

P.S. It looks like I shouldn't have stopped at the doors...our garage is in dire need of some new paint!

We really love the color. We weren't expecting it to have brown undertones but are very happy with it! We're keeping the white countertop for now. It's in pretty good shape, and I don't think it looks awful!

I'm so excited to see it come together. We had to get these big countertop/bench pieces out of the way so I can spread out to paint the doors, drawers and trim pieces.

Look - I'm helping! I think I've actually done more than Jason on the camper so far. Shhhhh, don't tell him!

While waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to tackle the cushions. We chose this awesome stripe fabric from Jo-Ann. It's an outdoor fabric so I hope it holds up okay. I used the old cushions as pattern pieces and reused the foam as well. The foam was in really great shape. I think I might wrap it in some batting though. That might help it fill out some of the corners. It seems a little loose since the cushions were already squished a bit on the corners from the old covers. I was going to use the old zippers, but we ended up finding some zipper by the yard in the upholstery section. It was about $5 to replace all of the zippers and now they match a bit better than they would have if I used the old ones.

The bottom of the cushions is a flannel backed vinyl. The original cushions used this same type of vinyl, but I'm still not sold on the fabric. It feels a little too flimsy. I hope it wears well. Note to self - next time use the walking foot like I knew I should have! The vinyl stretched quite a bit with the regular foot.

Stripes are tricky, that's for sure! I had to remember to line them up so that when the cushions are sitting on the bench the stripes will be in order. I also had the zippers all close toward the camper wall. The corners were a headache too. I could not figure them out for the bottom cushions. I finally found this post from another camper that posted pictures of what I knew was the way to do the corners. Sometimes you just need to see it. At least two of our cushions look nice and square with no puckers...we're just going to have to live with the other two! I don't think I'm going to redo them.

More camper reno to come!


-michele said...

looking good!!!!

Larissa @ The Pop Up Princess said...

Good job! It's looking awesome! I haven't tackled my cushions yet. I've been a little scared. :) Yours look great.

Susan said...

This looks fantastic! I think we have your camper's long lost twin. Funny to see another '80's Jayco. I'm wondering if you have any final pictures - we're ready to remodel ours, and it would be great to see your final product. Also, how your flooring has held up after a year after putting the cabinets back on top and enduring temperature changes? Would you be willing to share specifics of the flooring you selected?

Mary Wilde said...

Susan! It has been almost 4 months since you left this comment...I'm so sorry I've been so slow to get back to you. We've had quite the summer/fall. The floor is holding up okay, but if I were to redo the flooring again, I'd buy sheet goods. The planks just aren't working that well. I don't have any final pictures because I haven't finished the curtains yet. We'll be taking it out one more time before the end of the year, so maybe it will be done by then (fingers crossed)! The part that we didn't like about the flooring is that it is still a floating floor, so it sort of moves around the seams as the camper moves. That's why I'd go with a sheet good...or maybe glue it down. I don't know how that would hold up.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...