I saw this idea on The Tidy Nest a while back and knew it would make a great Super Saturday project. It's inexpensive and can be personalized!! We are having everyone bring their own frames, so we are only charging $2.00 for the stencil and etching materials. Sweet deal!
Time: 20-25 minutes
Pen or Pencil
1. Cut (or buy) a stencil. I cut mine using my Silhouette. I love that thing. I only wish that the paper would stay on the vinyl instead of coming off onto my mat...sigh.
2. Peel out the letters of the vinyl stencil using tweezers. Be sure to leave the counter (defined as: The partially or fully enclosed space within a character) in your stencil.
3. Draw guidelines on your stencil and your frame so that your etching is straight. Trim your stencil if needed.
4. Remove the paper from the back of the stencil. Adhere the stencil to the frame using a vinyl rubbing tool or a credit card or....
5. Remove the transfer tape from the stencil and protect the other glass on the frame with masking tape.
6. Apply etching cream to the glass and let sit for 10 minutes.
7. Remove excess etching cream and put it back into the bottle...it's reusable!! Clean the glass with glass cleaner and reassemble frame.
All done! Some day we'll get a family photo and I'll put a photo of all of us...until then, we just have the Wilde boys.