Monday, February 27, 2012

Some Favorite Children's Books

Are you gearing up for Read Across America Day? It's held yearly on Dr. Seuss's birthday, March 2 (this Friday). So I decided that I would share some of my favorite books this week.

Check out last year's first outdoor book picnic? Boy...they sure have grown this past year?!



Today I'd like to share some of my favorite picture books. I LOVE finding new picture books that have great story lines and amazing illustrations. I could browse the children's section of the library all day. I am always suckered into posts that say "50 Books Your Child Should Read Before Kindergarten," "75 Books That Build Character," etc. I print these lists and head off to the library. Actually, I printed both of the above lists and headed to the library this morning!

Then there are all of those awards that they give out for picture books like the Monarch Award (IL) or Caldecott Medal. I'm a sucker for these too!

Anyway...the following books have received the Mary Wilde Seal of Approval for what it's worth! I'm linking to Amazon so that you can go to read full reviews. Some have lessons, some don't. But they are all great!

Marianthe's Story: Painted Words and Spoken Memories by Aliki
A lovely story of a little girl who learns to tell her story through pictures and eventually through a new language.

My Name is Not Isabella & My Name is Not Alexander by Jennifer Fosberry
Fantastic stories of dreams, heroes and accomplishments  - one for boys and one for girls.

The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco (and all of her other books too!)
I just love Patricia Polacco. The Keeping Quilt is a wonderful story of family.

Halloween by Jerry Seinfeld
Seriously the BEST Halloween book ever! Buy the one with the CD included. It's so worth it!

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
One of my absolute favorite books to read aloud to the kids. And really, who doesn't love Grover?

No David by David Shannon
I really love everything by David Shannon. But this is a classic.

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
Another really fun book to read aloud to the kids. Clark loved this one when he was little, and Kent prefers the pigeon books with the hot dogs.

Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett
Came upon this one in Taiwan, and I am SOO glad I did! It's hilarious. The hen page cracks me up every time.

The Gift of Nothing by Patrick McDonnell
This is my favorite by Patrick McDonnell, but I really do love all of his books. This particular books makes a perfect Christmas gift for family and friends.


The Dot by Peter Reynolds
Another fantastic author/illustrator. The Dot is a great story about discovering the artist within us.
I Ain't Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont
If only I could come up with the perfect tune for this book, it'd be perfect! Another favorite of the kids!
The Tickle Monster by Josie Bissett
Oh what a FUN book! My mom gave this to Jason one Father's Day and he just loves it. Usually Clark demands on wearing the tickle gloves, but he's okay with that too.

Trout, Trout, Trout: A Fish Chant by April Pulley Sayre
Great illustrations and fun to read!

Oh there are so many more! I could go on all day, but I have laundry to do!!

What are your favorite picture books?


1 comment:

-michele said...

What a perfect journal entry! I love your list! and many are some of my favorites too. I need a lot (or alot) more room and time to list all my favorite children's books... and then don't get me started on adoption children's books...

-m

p.s. (cause I know how fond you are of postscripts) I KNOW a tune... teehee!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...