Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Decorating with Maps

I LOVE maps.

On our recent road trip, I packed the map book. Jason said, "What do we need that for? We have GPS." Well, I can't tell you how many times I looked at the map book. They are just filled with cool facts, and they give me the BIG picture when we are crossing five states, 1 province and one country border.

Anyway...I decided a while back that I wanted to decorate with an antique map of Russia. I bought one on ebay for around $16, I think. I made sure that it was written in Russian and that I could see the island where I lived while studying for a summer. Now the map is pretty big, so custom framing was out of the question. It would have been way too costly. So I decided to cut the map into 3 sections and frame each one individually using IKEA Ribba frames. I LOVE the way it turned out!

Any other ideas for how to decorate with maps?

7 comments:

Kara said...

I love the way it turned out too!! So cool, and such a great way to get a custom look!

I love the look of home decor with maps...great job!

Katie said...

I LOVE this idea! I think I may need to incorporate this in my NYC inspired room...

Emilee said...

that turned out great, Mary. I have a map I bought in China that would be fun to do as well. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Courtney @ {not so homemade} said...

Cute pics! And I LOVE your pizza faces you made on an earlier post! I'm a new follower and can't wait to read more from you :)

Kitty Deschanel said...

Beautiful! As your your other ideas inquiry, I once saw a photo where someone had attached a gigantic, black and white map to the ceiling above their dining table. It looked pretty neat :)

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! @LambAround - what a great idea...I bet it looked awesome.
@Courtney, thanks for following!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

i LOVE this! And I really love the color on your walls.

Thanks for stopping by my blog ; )

-your newest follower

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...