Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Shawnee National Forest

Luckily for us, Metropolis is located pretty close to the Shawnee National Forest which gave us something else to do than ogle at Superman merchandise and collectibles in the only store in town. Shawnee was gorgeous...half the time I couldn't believe I was still in Illinois. Although you would never guess it with the accents and bad food! I guess that is just Chicago.

Don't rush me, I'm canoeing. Jason is a canoeaholic. He can't stop talking, thinking, dreaming about it. I, on the other hand, need a bit more practice


Garden of the Gods - This is Camel Rock.
Our family picture on table rock

This is Cave in Rock, IL. What a name! This is where the pirates used to wait for flatboats on their way across the Ohio River. I guess they were like the welcome wagon!
More canoeing! This time we were in a Cypress/Tupelo swamp where the trees grow right in the water. It felt like we should have been in Lord of the Rings or something. This is also where I saw a water moccasin. Jason was pretty upset that I saw it and he didn't. I still can't believe he took me to a swamp where I might meet one of the most poisonous snakes in the US.
Our State Champion Bald Cypress tree that is over 1,000 years old!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those photos are gorgeous! Mary, you still have a way with the camera.

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Point and click appliances Lexus used interior design chaise lounge Discount dental plans eugene oregon england life assurance insurance Uk interior design and refurbishment Hold em no download interior design

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...